Find more information on the itinerary, cost,
and application process at Learning Abroad Center.
Visit this exemplar for the conservation of natural resources and economic sustainability. Tourism and high-tech exports have supplanted Costa Rica’s traditional agricultural export economy which includes coffee and bananas. Now, Costa Rica’s 12 distinct ecological zones draw eco-tourists who discover rain forests, rugged mountains, active volcanoes, and beaches along two oceans—all within a country the size of West Virginia.
Costa Rica: May 8-19, 2017
Earn 3 upper-division credits from the University of Utah.
Both courses can be applied towards the Environmental and Sustainability Studies major.
ENVST 5800: (3)
Satisfies Group B: Biology and Natural Science elective
Honors credit is available for those enrolled in the Honors College. The Honors College also offers a $1,000 scholarship to students participating in the Honors Study Abroad Program. Contact the Honors College for more information: 801-581-7383.
Excursions and Activities
Possible Excursions may include:
- San Jose
- Guanacaste Region
Getting to Costa Rica
Air travel should be arranged by program participants. Pre-departure meetings serve as a great resource for arranging air travel with other students. All students will receive detailed instructions about when and where to meet the group in Costa Rica.
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Minimum age of 18
- No Spanish language requirement
- Room (double occupancy)
- Welcome and farewell social events
- Scheduled excursions
- Local Transportation
- International health insurance
Does Not Include:
- Passport and visa fees
- Airport tax
- Personal expenses
- Independent travel
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Visit the Learning Abroad Center for more information on the scholarship application process. Other forms of financial aid (student loans, grants, etc.) can be applied to the program cost. Visit your Financial Aid Counselor for more information in SSB 105 or call 801-581-6211.
A mandatory pre-departure seminar will be held in April to introduce students to the course materials and provide program and cultural information. Participants will be contacted when this is arranged. At this meeting you will receive travel details as well as meet others in the group.
Application deadline: February 15, 2017
Note: Late applications will be accepted with an additional non-refundable $50 fee for 30 days after the initial deadline or until the program is full.
- Visit http://www.learningabroad.utah.edu/.
- Click “Search and Apply.”
- If you are a current U of U student, click “U of U Students” to log-in using your uNID and CIS password. If you are not a current U of U student, click “Non-U of U Students” to create a user account.
- Use “Search Programs” to find your program of choice. You can search by Destination or use Type to search under “Faculty-Led.
- Once you find the program, click “Apply.”
- Application Steps:
- The initial payment for all Learning Abroad Programs is $500. This payment will be made through our Learning Abroad Application. Once you are committed to your program, this payment is non-refudable, except in the case that Learning Abroad Cancels your program. Even though the initial payment will NOT be billed to your U of U student tuition account, this charge is required in order for the application to be considered complete by the application deadline.
- A one-page personal statement describing how the program meets your academic and personal goals for the study abroad program. You will be able to upload your statement into your online application.
7. All applications will be reviewed by the program director(s) and Study Abroad advisor to determine eligibility. Notification of acceptance will be sent to your Umail address.
It is your responsibility to ensure that all the components of your application are completed prior to the application deadline.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
See Learning Abroad Center for details on the withdrawal process.
If an applicant is determined ineligible to participate, the $500 deposit will be refunded in full.
Learning Abroad Center Contact Information